By Christine Lee,Neville Morley
A instruction manual to the Reception of Thucydides bargains a useful consultant to the reception of Thucydides, with a powerful emphasis on evaluating and contrasting diverse traditions of interpreting and interpretation.
• provides an in-depth, entire evaluate of the reception of the Greek historian Thucydides
• positive aspects own reflections by way of eminent students at the value and perennial value of Thucydides’ work
• good points an the world over well known solid of members, together with proven lecturers in addition to new voices within the field
Read Online or Download A Handbook to the Reception of Thucydides (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception) PDF
Similar ancient history books
Dependent upon a chain of targeted case experiences of institutions equivalent to early synagogues and church buildings, philosophical faculties and pagan secret cults, this assortment addresses the query of what can legitimately be termed a 'voluntary association'. making use of smooth sociological thoughts, the essays exhibit how a number of the institutions have been constituted, the level in their club, why humans joined them and what they contributed to the social textile of city existence.
Epigraphic proof is an obtainable advisor to the liable use of Greek and Latin inscriptions as resources for historic heritage. It introduces the categories of old details provided via inscriptional texts and the equipment with which they are often used. It outlines the restrictions in addition to some great benefits of the differing kinds of proof coated.
The fragmentary proof permits us simply tantalising glimpses of the delicate and intricate society of the traditional Egyptians, however the Greek historian Herodotus believed that the Egyptians had 'reversed the standard practices of mankind' in treating their ladies higher than any of the opposite civilizations of the traditional world .
A. J. Woodman's translation combines accuracy and Tacitean invention, masterfully conveying Tacitus' specific and strong demeanour of expression, and reflecting the simplest of present scholarship. An introductory essay discusses Tacitus' occupation, the interval approximately which he wrote, the character of old writing within the Roman international, and the rules of translation that have formed this rendering.
- Caesars Bürgerrechtspolitik in den Provinzen (German Edition)
- Troja als Reiseziel antiker Touristen (German Edition)
- Sievers' Law and the History of Semivowel Syllabicity in Indo-European and Ancient Greek (Oxford Classical Monographs)
- FileMaker Pro Design and Scripting For Dummies
- Pliny's Praise: The Panegyricus in the Roman World
Extra info for A Handbook to the Reception of Thucydides (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception)
A Handbook to the Reception of Thucydides (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception) by Christine Lee,Neville Morley