By Paul Erdkamp
- An vast account of the Roman military, from its beginnings to its transformation within the later Roman Empire
- Examines the military as an army computing device – its recruitment, education, association, strategies and weaponry
- Explores the connection of the military to Roman politics, economics and society extra broadly
- Considers the geography and weather of the lands within which the Romans fought
- Each bankruptcy is written by way of a number one specialist in a specific subfield and takes account of the most recent scholarly and archaeological study in that area
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Roman Army (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
Established upon a sequence of specific case reports of institutions comparable to early synagogues and church buildings, philosophical colleges and pagan secret cults, this assortment addresses the query of what can legitimately be termed a 'voluntary association'. applying smooth sociological innovations, the essays exhibit how some of the institutions have been constituted, the level in their club, why humans joined them and what they contributed to the social cloth of city lifestyles.
Epigraphic proof is an available consultant to the liable use of Greek and Latin inscriptions as assets for old heritage. It introduces the kinds of historic info provided by way of inscriptional texts and the equipment with which they are often used. It outlines the constraints in addition to some great benefits of the different sorts of proof lined.
The fragmentary facts permits us basically tantalising glimpses of the delicate and intricate society of the traditional Egyptians, however the Greek historian Herodotus believed that the Egyptians had 'reversed the normal practices of mankind' in treating their girls greater than any of the opposite civilizations of the traditional world .
A. J. Woodman's translation combines accuracy and Tacitean invention, masterfully conveying Tacitus' detailed and strong demeanour of expression, and reflecting the simplest of present scholarship. An introductory essay discusses Tacitus' occupation, the interval approximately which he wrote, the character of old writing within the Roman international, and the foundations of translation that have formed this rendering.
- Mooropferplätze der Kaiser und Völkerwanderungszeit in Skandinavien: Skedemosse und Illerup Adal (German Edition)
- History of the Elder Gods (Journals of the Ancient Ones Book 4)
- Rome: A History in Seven Sackings
- Silver and Society in Late Antiquity: Functions and Meanings of Silver Plate in the Fourth to Seventh Centuries
- Grandpa Was A Deity:How a Tribal Assertion Created Modern Culture
- Rome, the Greek World, and the East: Volume 1: The Roman Republic and the Augustan Revolution (Studies in the History of Greece and Rome)
Extra info for A Companion to the Roman Army (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to the Roman Army (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Paul Erdkamp